Max Bickler House - 1911

Stacks Image 649
Stylistic influence(s): Arts & Crafts Bungalow with Colonial Revival elements
Architect/Builder: Hugo Kuehne, Contractor: McLellen, Schmidt. Builder: H. E. Wattinger
Historic Use: Residence
Current Use: Residence
Historical designations:
City of Austin Historic Landmark
Building History
Built in 1911 by architect Hugo Kuehne for Max and Mary Bickler, the house remained in the family until purchase by the present owners in 1989. Bickler penciled a chronicle of Austin’s history on the underside of the stairway. Bickler’s brother Harry Bickler lived next door in a circa 1910 home. Kuehne was a fraternity brother of Max Bickler. Occupied by various Bickler grandchildren between 1971 and 1989.

Significant Persons Associated with Building
1910 – 1971: Max Hermann Bickler (1881-1970), son of Texas educator Jacob Bickler, German descent; a clerk at the Texas Supreme Court and keeper of the state’s official Bible.
1910: Hugo Kuehne, architect.